The vast plains of East Africa (Kenya’s Masai Mara and Tanzania’s Serengeti) play host to the world’s greatest wildlife spectacle – the great Wildebeest Migration. Without dressing anything else up, this animal migration is one of the most unique wildlife experiences that a person will ever have! In most travel guides, articles and books, seeing the Wildebeest Migration is listed as one of the top things to put on your bucket list – why not put it on yours! Millions of animals – wildebeest, gazelles, zebras – annually migrate thousands of kilometres each year on an endless pilgrimage in search of food and water, that is nothing short of spectacular! Even Africans, accustomed to wildlife at our doorstep, are mesmerised by the lines of migrating animals on their path to find fresh grazing.
The wildebeest congregate on the short grass plains of the southern Serengeti in Jan, Feb & March. Here they calf and exercise the new born. After the ‘long rains’ in April / May, when the first flush of grass turns the Masai Mara’s golden savannah green, the most mesmerising wildlife spectacle takes place: The great Wildebeest Migration. After the rains they start the migration towards the north and the Masai Mara. The Migration reaches the Mara River in July. There is a temporary halt before the frantic crossing to the Mara plains. In November / December the trek returns to the south, so the cycle can start again.
When to travel
The great Migration encompasses the Serengeti – Mara ecosystem. The best time to travel depends on where you want to be or when you want to travel – the Serengeti in Tanzania is best in the first half of the year, or the Masai Mara in Kenya, which is home to the Migration in the latter half. The Serengeti is far larger, and when the migrating animals are on the move, their location becomes more difficult to predict.
Why book your Wildebeest Migration to the Serengeti or the Mara with Falcon Africa Safaris?
Founded in 1990, Falcon Africa Safaris is owner-run, and has built up a wealth of knowledge and expertise over two decades.
- We know when to send you to the Migration, and the best time for a family safari on a beach break.
- Falcon Africa Safaris knows what type of accommodation best suits your needs.365 days of the year, we will assist in booking your dream African safari package.
- Our selection of accommodation will place you in the middle of the Migration at the best time of year to experience it. You won’t end up at a lodge two hours drive from the Migration or in the wrong country.
- We know how to maximise the time you have for your ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ trip.
- We specialise in a large variety of add-on trips in Kenya and Tanzania – golfing across the Equator; swimming off the white sandy beaches; birdwatching in the Lake Nakuru area, cultural experiences in Sasaab, visiting the Ngorongoro Crater – the list is endless.